Regulations and Laws on Military Draft Registration (Selective Service) by State

Driver’s License Linked to Registration? Yes, applicants for license, permit, or identification card may register with SSS.

Registration Linked to Access to Higher Education? Yes, must be registered to receive state financial aid or enroll in a state funded institution of higher education.

Registration Required for State Employment? Yes, must be registered for state employment.

SB 438 (2002) established a method for eligible male applicants for a license, permit, or identification card to register with the SSS if they had not done so.  The applicant can decide if he wants to register at that time and, if he does, then his signature will constitute consent for the state to forward necessary information to the SSS.  (West Virginia Code 17B­–2A–2.)  .  A person must be in compliance with the Military Selective Service Act in order to obtain employment with any state agency, enroll in any state-supported institution of higher education, or receive any state-supported financial aid.  (West Virginia Code 15–1F–10)