Regulations and Laws on Military Draft Registration (Selective Service) by State

Driver’s License Linked to Registration? Yes, must be registered to receive license, permit, or identification card.

Registration Linked to Access to Higher Education? Yes, must be registered to receive state financial aid.

Registration Required for State Employment? No.

In 2001 the Utah legislature passed SB 135, which requires that necessary information for registration be forwarded to the SSS when an eligible male under the age of 26 applies for a license or identification card.  The application contains these words: “By submitting this application, I am consenting to registration with the Selective Service System, if required by federal law.”  (Utah Code 53-3-234 and 804) In addition, Utah Code 53B-11-104 requires all males to submit a statement of registration compliance in order to receive any state-supported loans, grants, or financial aid for higher education.