Regulations and Laws on Military Draft Registration (Selective Service) by State

Driver’s License Linked to Registration? Yes, must be registered to receive license, permit, or identification card.

Registration Linked to Access to Higher Education? Yes, must be registered to receive state financial aid; any nonregistered resident males pay out of state tuition.

Registration Required for State Employment? No.

HB 46, passed in 2002, stipulates that males under the age of 26 who apply for a license, permit, or identification card consent to having their information sent to the SSS to be registered.  (Ohio Code 4507.062.) Those who do not file a statement that they are in compliance with the SSS registration requirement are not eligible to receive state financial aid or loans for education. Such persons will be charged out-of-state tuition, even if they are residents of Ohio.  The Department of Education may offer students the opportunity to register so they pay the in-state tuition. (Ohio Code 3345.32)