Regulations and Laws on Military Draft Registration (Selective Service) by State

Driver’s License Linked to Registration? Yes, must be registered to receive license, permit, or identification card.

Registration Linked to Access to Higher Education? Schools must encourage the registration of students.

Registration Required for State Employment? Yes, must be registered for state employment.

Public Law No. 12-78 (2001),  stipulates that males between the ages of 18 and 25 who apply for an identification card,  drivers license, or learners permit either certify that  they are registered or grant the Commonwealth permission to forward registration information to the SSS.  Public Law No. 11-70 (1999), requires males between the ages of 18 and 26 who are seeking employment with the government to submit “documentation evidencing his registration” and that no unregistered male may obtain employment with the commonwealth.  Public Law No. 11-39 (1998) requires schools to provide students approaching their 18th birthday with the forms necessary for registration and instruction on how to properly submit the forms.