Regulations and Laws on Military Draft Registration (Selective Service) by State

Driver’s License Linked to Registration? Yes, must be registered to receive license, permit, or identification card.

Registration Linked to Access to Higher Education? Yes, must be registered to enroll in state funded institution of higher education.

Registration Required for State Employment? Yes, must be registered for state employment.

The 2001 SB 501 created the opportunity for unregistered applicants to forward their information to the SSS, although it was not mandatory.  However, in 2003 HB 450 amended that legislation so that the state was required to forward all information to the SSS whenever an eligible male applied for a learner’s permit, driver’s license, or other identification card.  No card shall be issued without compliance and any male older than 15 but younger than 18 will have their information stored until their 18th birthday.  The statute requires that these words be on the application: “”By submitting this application, I am consenting to registration with the federal SSS, if so required. If under 18 years of age, I understand that I will be registered when I attain 18 years of age as required by federal law.” So while those 18 or over are “consenting,” those under 18 are simply informed that they will be registered. (Louisiana Revised Statutes 32:418.)  If someone is required to register for the draft and has not done so, he cannot enroll in any postsecondary educational institution that receives state funding. The law requires a “statement of compliance” as well as “written proof of draft registration and a statement of selective service status.” (Louisiana Revised Statutes 17:3151.)  Those seeking employment from the state must also be registered and submit “a statement of compliance.” (Louisiana Revised Statutes 42:33) Veterans seeking employment or schooling may submit their discharge certificate in lieu of the compliance statement.