Regulations and Laws on Military Draft Registration (Selective Service) by State

Driver’s License Linked to Registration? Yes, eligible men MAY register when they apply for a license, permit, or identification card. If the individual refuses, the state MAY forward that information to the SSS.

Registration Linked to Access to Higher Education? No.

Registration Required for State Employment? No.

The Kentucky Legislature passed HB 64 in 2003. This law appears to automatically register those who apply for a driver’s license, permit or ID card, and the MVA will forward registration information to SSS for those under the age of 18 upon their turning 18.  The law also states, “In the event the applicant declines Selective Service registration, the cabinet may issue an operator’s license or personal identification card, but shall forward the necessary personal information to the Selective Service System.”  (Kentucky Revised Statutes Chapter 186 Section 405).