Regulations and Laws on Military Draft Registration (Selective Service) by State

Driver’s License Linked to Registration? No.

Registration Linked to Access to Higher Education? No, you do not have to be registered to receive state financial aid.

Registration Required for State Employment? No.

In 1997 a bill (AB 397) was passed that required all public institutions of higher education to make “every reasonable effort to inform” male students of the requirement to register with SSS.  (California Education Code 35041.3) The bill also denied any student financial aid to non-registrants, but was amended in 2021 to disregard registration status when considering eligibility for state student aid.  (California Education Code 69400.)